You are here: Home / Municipal life / International / Twinning and partnerships / Szeged [Hungary]
Document Actions
Szeged [Hungary]

Szeged [Hungary]

hungary

www.szegedportal.hu

Origin

szegedThe twinning commenced on arrival of the Hungarian consulate in Liège – the Hungarian Ambassador chose the city on the basis of the many similarities between the two cities.

Description

Szeged, located at the confluence of the Tisza and Maros rivers, has been a settlement since prehistorical times. In the 2nd century, the site was already mentioned in Ptolemy's writings under the name of Partiszkon. As regards its Hungarian name "Szeged", it comes directly from the geographical situation of the site, located on a large bend in the Tisza River: "szeg" means corner. It was after Turkish rule that the city started to develop significantly and, on 21st May 1719, it was again classed by King Charles III as a free royal city. The 19th century witnessed increased development, thanks in particular to the founding of the first printing press in 1801, the arrival of the first steamboats in 1833, as well as the construction in 1864 of the Alföld-Fiume line. On 12th March 1879, a major flood devastated the old city centre. Its reconstruction (from 1879 to 1883) created the city's current morphology. the inhabitants rebuilt the city in a completely different manner, in the shape of a sun with innovative architecture. Szeged also owes its reputation Nobel Prize to Albert Szent-Gyögyi in 1937.

This city and its population of 175,000 is today recognised in particular for its Hungarian paprika, grown in the surrounding area, its active cultural scene and its university.